It’s half term week, Wales is on it’s second lockdown of 2020, and the snack cupboard is almost empty… I am wandering around the kitchen trying to think of an easy cake recipe that I can throw together. A quick look in fridge and I can see I have some grated carrot that needs using up, and with that the inspiration hits me to create this quick and easy Carrot Cake recipe. All of the ingredients in this recipe are adaptable, vegan friendly, and at only 5p a portion you can’t go wrong.
Quick Carrot Cake Recipe | 5p a portion
- 200 g grated carrot
- 225 g flour (add 2 tsp baking powder if using plain flour)
- 80 g melted butter or vegetable spread
- 150 ml milk (soya, almond or cows)
- 100 g sugar
- 2 tsp mixed spice (or a mix of ginger, nutmeg & cinamon)
- Heat the oven 200C / 180C fan / gas mark 6.
- Add all the ingredients into a large mixing bowl, mix together until smooth, add a little extra milk if the mixture is too dry.
- Add to a lined or oiled loaf tin or a cupcake tin and bake in the oven, depeding on your oven this should be between 20 -30 minutes so keep and eye on it.
- Once cooked, leave to cool for 5 minutes before turning out to cool furhter on a wire rack.
- Once cooled, slice and feed to the children! As slathering of jam spread on the top instead of icing goes down a treat in my family!